The Amherst Town Library offers page internships to students in local high schools. Page positions are filled for two or three years, depending on the date of hire, and culminate in August of the respective senior year.
Students must be 16 years of age
Library pages work year round. During the school year, pages are scheduled:
- one evening per week (5:30 or 5:45 – 8:45)
- and at least one Saturday (9:15 - 5:15)
- and one Sunday (12:45 - 5:15) per month
In the summer, pages are scheduled:
- the same evening per week
- and one to two Saturdays (9:15 - 12:45) per month
The library is closed on Sundays in the summer. Pages may schedule two weeks for summer vacation.
- Shelve books and other library materials
- Shelf read assigned sections to keep books in order
- Check materials in and out at the circulation desk using a computerized library system
- Assist patrons in finding materials
- Supervise the children’s room
- Help with children’s programs when needed
- Help with setup for adult programs when needed
- Work on additional outside projects for the children’s librarian
- Be able to communicate pleasantly with library patrons at the front desk
- Be able to answer phones, answer basic questions, and direct calls at the front desk
- Ability to relate well to co-workers, patrons and children
- A general knowledge of libraries and their arrangement of materials
- Ability to lift and carry loads of 10-20 lbs.
- Ability to multitask: answer phones, serve patrons, answer questions, shelve
- Ability to work sitting or standing and shelve on high and low shelves
- A general familiarity with computers
- A willingness to learn and take direction
- Accountability to be present and on time for scheduled hours
- A genuine desire to work with the public and facilitate their needs in a pleasant fashion
Interested candidates should complete an application and return it with two letters of reference to Sarah Leonardi, Head of Circulation & Public Services.